Your Child’s Eyes Need Extra Care
Myopia is a standard refractive error that affects a large number of Americans. It is more commonly known as nearsightedness. Our teams screen for Myopia in each child’s eye exam. Your children may not love the idea of glasses, but their vision will improve significantly with the correct prescription.
What Is Myopia?
Myopia occurs when the shape of your eye causes light to bend incorrectly, causing images to focus in front of your retina. When this happens, distant objects may appear blurry.
The exact cause of myopia is unclear, but studies show that it can be hereditary and exacerbated by spending considerable time reading or working on a computer.
Children & Myopia
Studies show that myopia is becoming more common in children. Doctors are currently looking at different methods for controlling myopia. At this time, myopia can’t be reversed, so the goal of treatment is to prevent it from worsening. Myopia is easily corrected with glasses and contact lenses.
How to Control Myopia
Our optometrists can provide you with information on several methods to help control myopia.
The most effective ways of slowing myopia include:
- Atropine drops, which are given before bed, can slow the progression of myopia in children.
- Increased time outside may decrease the risks of myopia.
- Dual focus contact lenses have resulted in the slowing of myopia’s advancement in children between the ages of 8 and 12.
Orthokeratology contact lenses are used to change the shape of the cornea temporarily and help improve vision.
Appointments in Ladera Ranch
At Ladera Ranch Optometry, we’re committed to providing your children with high-quality vision care. We offer a safe and comfortable environment and conduct all treatments with compassion and respect. Your kids will very quickly become one of the family!
Please give us a call to book your child’s appointment or ask any questions. We’re ready with answers about your little ones’ eyes.
Book an Appointment
You can find us at the Ladera Corporate Terrace on Corporate Drive, in the same building as Coastal Kids Pediatric.
- 333 Corporate Drive Suite 120
- Ladera Ranch, CA 92694
- Monday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Tuesday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Wednesday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Thursday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Saturday: 8:30 AM – 1:30 PM
- Sunday: Closed